Gelephu Mindfulness City (GMC): To become a Sacred Space for Ku Sung Thuk Mendrel

 


During the Payling Chhokhor conducted by Lham Namkha Nyingpo Rinpoche at Samtse College of Education (SCE)-a place where I have worked for over 16 years-I found myself reflecting deeply on the significance of the number 6.

Around 3:00 PM, I stood in a queue with my college staff and other groups to offer Ku Sung Thuk Mendrel to Rinpoche. Due to the large number of devotees, the coordinator was calling 6 people from each group to make the offering. At that moment, it struck me that this was not the first time the number 6 had appeared repeatedly in my life over the past weeks.

Earlier, while volunteering at GMC, I stayed at my sister’s Quarter no. 6. During that time, my father arrived in Gelephu after suffering a leg fracture and had to seek medical treatment. As a result, he had to cancel his plan to attend the Payling Chhokhor. At Gelephu Hospital, my registration queue number was 16, and we were referred to the orthopaedic surgeon’s Chamber no. 6. The following day, I was in Team 6 at GMC.

Back in Payling Chhokhor at SCE, I happened to sit directly facing the portrait of Terton Pema Lingpa, and once again, it was group 6 that served us lunch and tea. By then, I was no longer searching for meaning-I was simply paying attention.

Clarity came when I learned that Ku Sung Thuk Mendrel involves the offering of 6 symbolic objects representing the enlightened Body, Speech, and Mind of the Buddha: a mirror, a Buddha image or stupa, scriptures, a vajra, a bell, and a food offering. These 6 objects complete the symbolism of Ku, Sung, and Thuk, and are offered to purify negativities, accumulate merit and invoke auspiciousness.

This was not my first experience of such Tendrel. Over time, I have noticed similar insights unfolding naturally-not as predictions, but as meaningful connections revealed through reflection.

To me, this lends deep auspicious meaning to Gelephu Mindfulness City, a place I now see as having the potential to become a sacred space for Ku Sung Thuk Mendrel offerings, welcoming devotees from around the world.


 

Comments